Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Egg detective

A a couple of weeks ago we stopped getting the regular 3 to 4 a day we'd been pulling out of the nest box. At first I thought, the girls are still young so they may just be laying sporadically. But when this went on for a couple of days, with only one or two eggs in the nest a day, I decided to start looking around to see if they were laying somewhere else. We let them out of their coop and run area almost every day to roam our two yards freely, so they have a lot of options for hiding a nest. I walked around the yards looking in corners and behind grassy areas and finally found a nest well-hidden behind a small stand of monkey grass next to a privacy fence with seven eggs in it.

The next day we got three eggs in the nest box and one in the hiding place. Then after a couple of days we were down to just two eggs a day in the nest box and none in the hidden nest by the fence. I made a cursory search around the yards in the areas we know they spend time and found nothing. Today I got serious and made an intensive search and found this:

I'm thinking, based on the count of eggs and days, that there may be a couple of eggs out there I haven't found yet, but I'm almost looking forward to the continued search. It's like Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment